Efficient. Responsive. Unprecedented. The Oshkosh® Striker® Volterra™ performance hybrid is meticulously engineered to channel mechanical power and battery power to maximize driving and pumping performance while reducing fuel consumption and emissions.
Still enjoy legacy features found on the Striker ARFF vehicle while gaining the benefits of the Striker Volterra technology. Operation of the vehicle is consistent with current Striker ARFF models. No additional training is necessary easing operation and fleet integration.
- Striker 4x4
- Striker 6x6
Rapid Response Time
- 0-50 mph (0-80 kph) in 25 seconds
Improved Firefighter Safety
- Electric vehicle mode for fire station entry/exit with zero emissions
- Zero emissions when running on battery power
- Automatic idle management, up to one hour of zero-emissions standby operation
Lower Total Cost of Ownership
- Up to 40% reduced fuel consumption
- Reduced engine maintenance
Leading Oshkosh Technology
- Proprietary drivetrain featuring electro-mechanical infinitely variable transmission
- Patented powertrain energy management
- Patented hybrid fire fighting vehicle
- Patented hybrid fire fighting vehicle modes
Striker Volterra Hybrid Electric Vehicle Capabilities
- Fully tested and compliant to NFPA 414 and ICAO standards
- An Oshkosh patented hybrid-electric drivetrain featuring an electro-mechanical infinitely variable transmission allows zero-emissions operation when powered by the integrated onboard batteries, and can be coupled to the internal combustion engine to provide continuous and uninterrupted power to the pumping system or drive system
- Faster acceleration: setting a new standard for performance, the Striker Volterra is capable of achieving 28% improved acceleration when fully loaded, resulting in a quickened response time
- Idle reduction for up to one hour of zero-emissions standby using onboard energy storage
- Zero-emission driving during entry and exit of the fire station using onboard energy storage
- Available Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) options for further electric vehicle driving capabilities
EV driving activates on startup without any user input when the Striker Volterra vehicle exits the fire station. On re-entry, the vehicle can be seamlessly shifted to EV Mode once more. This mode utilizes only the on-board batteries to power the drivetrain to lowering the fire fighter’s exposure to exhaust emissions and noise.
During standby mode, the vehicle operates at zero emissions utilizing on-board batteries. Providing comfort and power to required systems. The engine starts as needed to maintain battery readiness.
The vehicle automatically shifts to Hybrid Mode as needed for acceleration, and to maintain the batteries for maximum readiness. The internal combustion engine and batteries work together to maximize performance and improve response time, while reducing emissions. The Striker Volterra 6x6 ARFF can go 0-50 mph (0-80 km/h) in 25 seconds. Improving acceleration by 28% when fully loaded.
Regenerative braking increases efficiency and reduces brake wear. The vehicles kinetic energy is converted to electricity, recharging the batteries, and reducing brake temperature and wear.
Pump and roll utilizes both the engine and the battery. The advanced powertrain continuously powers the pump while the driver’s input is smoothly applied to the vehicle’s motion just like every Striker ARFF.
Stationary pumping utilizes the internal combustion engine to efficiently power the water pump. The Command Zone Control System optimizes engine RPM based on water pump requirements to reduce emissions and noise.
Oshkosh Corporation has a long and extensive history developing electric drives and electric vehicle technology. Oshkosh Airport Products, a subsidiary of Oshkosh Corporation, developed the Striker Volterra ARFF vehicle utilizing this proven technology.